Kewo Engineering Corporation (KEC) is contracted to provide Training and Design Services for the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) for the Sylmar 500kV Ground Electrode Monitoring Project.
KEC’s scope of work includes the following:
- Create construction guidelines for grounding electrode cables during installation.
- Develop a specification for procuring fiber optics current metering equipment to measure the current through the ground electrode at two ends of the underground span: LADWP’s Kenter Canyon Terminal Tower and LADWP’s Gladstone Vault near the ocean.
- Develop a specification for procuring fiber optics Distributed Strain and Temperature Sensor (DSTS) equipment for monitoring marine cables using Brillouin technology.
- Design and draft equipment, fabrication, wiring, conduit, and grounding drawings for installing fiber optics metering equipment.
- Work with LADWP underground transmission engineers, distribution linemen, and telecommunications personnel to route fiber optics communication from Gladstone Vault to Receiving Station K to Kenter Canyon Terminal Tower.
- Research and consult LADWP on various methods for measuring and determining faults in the ground electrodes entering the ocean.